Place of worship/heritage site
The bell tower and nave were built in the mid-16th century while the portals date from the 17th century.
The church became a cathedral in 1874 when Le Havre bishopric was created.
This church was built close to the original founding site of Le Havre and became a cathedral in 1974 when Le Havre was granted a bishop. It is one of the rare witnesses to the 16th century in the city and is thus a historical symbol. The church as it stands today, however, has been added to over the centuries. The bell tower and nave date from the 16th century, but the portals – including the one of the western façade – were added the next century.
The building suffered heavy damaged during the 1944 bombings, as can be seen in the impacts still visible on the tower walls. The church was renovated thirty years later, along with the organ offered by Richelieu and destroyed by the bombs, and the 19th century stained glass windows relating the history of Le Havre. The cathedral square sits lower than the rest of the street, a reminder of the prewar ground level and evoking the original city.
La cathédrale Notre Dame © Laurent Bréard / Ville du Havre
Rue de Paris
76600 Le Havre
- Visitors with physical disabilities
- Visitors with hearing impairment
- Visitors with mental disabilities
- Visitors with visual impairment
From 9am to 6pm (5pm from Octobre 1st)
Stage 4 on the discovery tour 2. To the Port
How to get here- Bus: lines 2, 3, 4, 7 Cathédrale Stop
- Rest area